Search by Keyword
For a General Auto Insurance Quote and premium comparisons in every state, visit the link shown below.
This page provides handy facts regarding carriers, rates, premiums, discount programs, and state laws pertaining to New Mexico car insurance.
Here's how to score the lowest possible premium rates.
Average Auto Insurance Rates
The Average Annual Insurance Premium for each vehicle owned in New Mexico was $1,277 last year, slightly lower than the national average of $1,347.
New Mexico's relatively low auto insurance premiums may be associated with the state's relatively low population density, low crime rate, high median age, strong economy and mild climate.
The premiums would probably be even lower of not for an unusually high rate of uninsured vehicles on New Mexico roads.
Minimum Liability Coverage
State laws impose a minimum auto insurance liability coverage for each owned vehicle.
In the state of New Mexico, this minimum is set at $25,000 in Personal Injury Protection (PIP), $50,000 in coverage against death or injuries to others, and $10,000 in coverage against property damage.
In other words, insurance companies in New Mexico pay out a total of $85,000 in liability coverage per vehicle, per accident.
Insurance carriers refer to New Mexico's minimum auto insurance coverage as 25/50/10.
Penalties for Uninsured Drivers
For New Mexico drivers, proof of minimum insurance coverage must be provided prior to vehicle registration.
So, if you drive uninsured in the state of New Mexico, you are also driving an unregistered vehicle. Penalties can include huge fines, jail time, and license suspension.
Despite all this, about 26 percent of vehicles on New Mexico roadways are uninsured. New Mexico
has the second highest rate of uninsured vehicles in the nation, according to reports from insure.com.
Lowering the Cost of Car Insurance
Car owners in New Mexico, and all over America, reduce their premium costs in a number of different ways. Here's how you can, too.
1. Pay off your annual premium all at once, rather than month by month.
2. Increase your deductible amount.
3. Drive certain types of vehicles, such as makes and models rarely stolen in your area, or cars with permanently installed safety features.
4. Where carpooling or public transportation is feasible, don't drive for three years. This will create a perfect driving record, which will minimize your annual premiums.
5. Qualify for many discounts. Insurance experts agree that discount programs slash annual rates more than any other cost-reducing strategy.
* Avoid moving violations and earn a Good Driver discount.
* Excel academically and earn a Good Student discount.
* Live to be 55 or older and get a defensive driving course discount.
* Owners of more than one vehicle may be eligible for a Multiple Policy discount.
When you call around for quotes, remember to add and compare discount programs.
Based on recent consumer reports, popular car insurance carriers in New Mexico include Allianz, Ameriprise, AIG, American National, Auto Owners Insurance, Geico and West Bend Mutual.
Finding the cheapest deal is easy. Just grab a few free quotes online.
Then call a few local agents and see what discounts they offer. Ask each one for a general auto insurance quote.
Then compare quotes, choose the cheapest package, and save several hundred dollars a year in car insurance.
Look here for Premium Factory Outlets in All 50 States.
For fun things to do anywhere in America, visit Fact and Photo Galleries for All 50 States.
See this page for Air Travel Discount Deals and Low-Cost Lodging in all 50 States and Washington DC.
Visit this page to learn how to Work From Home Anywhere in America.